Monday, April 5, 2010

Oh, my aching EVERYTHING!

I am completely exhausted, after yet another weekend of slogging away outdoors, and Bike Boy is feeling the same. I don't even want to imagine how we'd feel if we hadn't had the bulk of our landscaping professionally done. All we're doing is the planting, plus adding some finishing touches.

It's all come together beautifully, so here are a few photos of some of what we've been up to.

A screen to provide a support for some Chinese Star Jasmine to grow on and give us something more attractive to look at than the fence from the lounge windows:





The perfect planters for a herb garden. I'm going to add one more, but I'll wait till Spring when new plant stock is available in the nurseries:



Another screen. This one is just to provide a backdrop for the tall pot and give us a focal point at the end of the path. I think it makes you want to go down there to see what's around the corner:



The difference a few plants makes. Before:



After:



We've actually done a lot more over the past month than these few photos show, but it was mostly planting, painting and small but necessary bits and pieces that aren't very interesting.

We still have to add a pergola outside the sliding door to filter out the western sun in summer, build the water feature we want and eventually get a thatched hut-type shelter built to provide a peaceful and private seating area. But we're really happy with what we've achieved, especially the fact that there's a "view" from almost every window now.



And Mrs B, I haven't forgotten about your lovely blog award.... I'll get to it soon, I promise!

5 comments:

Mrs B said...

Oh kek, you are so funny! Blog awards are soooo nice to receive but take so much time to think and contemplate about how to pass them on.
You have done so much work on your backyard and it looks FANTASTIC! I could not imagine how you would do it all if it wasnt for the landscapers. I think everybody should budget for some basic landscaping when they build. Love reading your blog Kek!

Mrs B xx

Vundaful said...

Your tropical paradise is really starting to come together - it's really starting to look like a little corner of Bali :)

I love the screens with the bamboo/reed, will that stuff deteriorate at all? I'd like to do something similar as I plan on getting some passionfruit vines.

I've got the painting aches, so we can both be sore together xD

Kek said...

Mrs B, I totally agree with you that basic landscaping should be part of any new build - it's a bit overwhelming when you're staring at dirt, weeds and builders' rubble.

V, bamboo products do deteriorate over time, but you can prolong their lives by using oils, stains and varnishes. I can give you all the details if you like - PM me via H1 if you want the nitty-gritty.

Lula said...

Hiya :)

Did you make the screens yourself or buy them as is?

Kek said...

Hi Lula - the single bamboo panel behind the dark green pot is just from Bunnings. The others were built from scratch though.

18 months down the track, they'e holding up well too - looks like the sealing product we used on the bamboo is just the thing. :)